COVID-19 Business & Financial Support

As regulations, guidance and suggestions change from Riverside County's Department of Public Health, the City would like to provide the business community a landing site for frequently asked questions, concerns, and information.

Please check back often for updates, and email for feedback, as this page is constantly under construction. 

On March 19, 2020, California Governor Gavin Newsom ordered Californians to shelter-in-place.  This order provided some exemptions for essential or critical services.  Those exemptions are provided here, and allow for some restaurants and stores to remain operational.  

In an effort to provide support for stores and restaurants in Indio, we have compiled a current list of hours and services available.  That list is available at the bottom of this page.  Please call beforehand for the most updated information.

On March 16, 2020, the U.S. Small Business Administration also announced low-interest federal disaster loans to help mitigate the economic injury caused by COVID-19, which includes fund available to small businesses in Riverside County.    The Orange County-Inland Empire Network of the USBA is also providing free services and resources for businesses.  

On April 29, Riverside County announced that the Office on Aging would like restaurants, especially those who deliver, to fill out a contact form or email if they would like to participate in the statewide food delivery program designed for seniors who do not qualify for other food assistance programs. Seniors can determine their eligibility for "Restaurants Deliver: Home Meals for Seniors" program  here and also fill out a contact form here.

Riverside County Economic Development has also launched a website with resources related to COVID-19 disaster assistance.  Among the resources made available on May 6 are ReStart loans for small businesses of between $15,000 and $30,000.  Apply here.

FAQ's on Business and Financial Support

What does the Riverside County Board of Supervisors' recission of the Public Health Officer's order mean for local stores and businesses?

Effective May 26, most retail businesses in Riverside County will be allowed to open. That includes hair salons, malls, florist and toy shops, department stores, bookstores, jewelry stores, clothing stores, shoe stores, home and furnishing stores, sporting goods stores, antique stores and music stores.

Supply chains supporting these businesses in manufacturing and logistical sectors may also operate.

Please refer here for the most updated information from the State of California on regional (County by County) variance.

How can I support Indio businesses, and those people who are employed there?

The Greater Coachella Valley Chamber of Commerce is compiling a list of local businesses that are open and are providing services through the COVID-19 crisis.  This list in Indio is being updated daily, and includes those which are offering delivery, curbside or other service special during our current state of emergency.  Those who are interested in supporting these businesses, can also search on social media using the hashtag #CVShopLocal  

The Greater Palm Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau is also compiling a list of local restaurants offering delivery and curbside pickup. Here’s the link

Also, here is a list of Indio restaurants that are offering take out service, dine in and pickup options to accommodate our citizens.

How can I apply for loans because of COVID-19 through the U.S. Small Business Administration?

Applicants may apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information and download applications here.  Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email for more information on SBA disaster assistance. 

What kind of additional services are available to help local businesses during the COVID-19 crisis?

The Orange County Inland Empire Small Business Development Center Network offers business consulting, training, and online courses to entrepreneurs and business owners throughout the Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties at no cost. This is made possible through funding by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) as well as other private sector funds. For information on specifics regarding COVID-19 contact 1-800-616-7232 or click here.

How can I report a business or individual I believe is taking financial advantage of the COVID-19 situation, i.e. price gouging?

The California State Attorney General's Office has set up a hotline to report price gouging, which is defined as "sellers trying to take unfair advantage of consumers during an emergency or disaster by greatly increasing prices for essential consumer goods and services."  Call 1-800-952-5225 to report price gouging, or send an email via this link.


Can short term rentals continue to operate? i.e. Can I rent out my home right now?

Yes, but only under very limited circumstances until at least June 19, 2020. In Indio, those found in violation of the State orders are subject to fines beginning at $1,500. Read the City’s letter here. The City issued an Emergency Order on April 17, requiring additional documentation be provided prior to any rentals. Read more about that here.

The following uses are permitted:

1. Short-term lodging facilities (including short-term rentals, vacation rentals, timeshares, hotels, motels, and other short-term lodgings) which are used for COVID-19 mitigation and containment measures:

A. Lodging to protect the homeless population

B. Lodging for persons who have been displaced and cannot return to their residence because there is a person residing at the residence that must isolate or quarantine or is at a higher risk of severe illness

C. Lodging for persons who need to isolate or quarantine

2. Short-term lodging facilities (including short-term rentals, vacation rentals, timeshares, hotels, motels, and other short-term lodgings) which are used to house essential workers.

How can I apply for unemployment insurance benefits if I am an impacted worker or business?

The California Employment Development Department (EDD) has provided guidance on the best way to apply (“file a claim”) for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. The recommended method to apply for UI benefits is through EDD’s UI Online website..

If filing online by computer is not possible, you can apply for UI by phone. An operator will assist in processing the UI application over the phone.

English 800-300-5616

Spanish 800-326-8937

Assistance Filing for Unemployment Insurance Document.