The purpose of the City of Indio Fire Services Prevention Office is to provide services aimed at reducing the risk of fire and injuries to the public. The Fire Marshal is responsible for the Fire Department's Fire Prevention Office. The prevention office consists of the Fire Marshal, two Fire Safety Specialists, two Fire Safety Inspectors, and one Office Assistant. The Fire Prevention staff ensures public safety is maintained by accomplishing the following duties:
- Adopts and enforces codes and ordinances relative to fire and life safety issues associated with commercial, industrial, and residential development.
- Coordinates the inspection of commercial buildings, and enforces hazardous materials regulations.
- Works with developers and City planning departments on development projects impacting fire protection services, from conception through planning process approval.
- Conducts new construction inspections, fire safety inspections, and State Fire Marshal-required inspections (including high rise, jail, board and care, and day care inspections), and enforces applicable fire codes and ordinances.
- Interacts with developers, architects, and engineers to meet the fire protection requirements for buildings and developments by reviewing all architectural blue prints, development plans, and proposals submitted in the City of Indio.
- Administers public education programs and services to children, adults, seniors, and various groups in the community.
- Coordinates the Engine Company Business Inspection program, so all the businesses within the City of Indio are evaluated for Fire and Life Safety hazards.